Go down
View user profile

Re: FM 2017: Reisen er belønning

on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:45 pm
24th May 2020

Woohoo, we did it - and in a surprisingly straightforward manner. No automatic drop for us.

Our fate will now be decided in the relegation playoffs, the actual structure of which I am yet to educate myself on.
View user profile

on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:49 pm
25th May 2020

Good stuff - I thought I might play 14th-placed Ufa, but I will actually face Tyumen, the team who finished 4th in the second tier. We should win that??

It's two legs, coming soon.
View user profile

on Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:08 am
1st June 2020

Oh no!! The first leg ends advantage Tyumen on away goals.

Jammy fuckers didn't have a shot on target.
View user profile

on Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:31 am
4th June 2020

Jesus fucking Christ. Relegated on penalties, in a match where we had 36 shots but scored one goal, and missed all four of our penalties in the shootout. Whole season was a waste of time, lol.

Peace out Fakel.

View user profile

on Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:40 am
1st July 2020

I did wait until my contract expiry date (30th June) and thought I'd become unattached automatically then, but technically I have still resigned because the club would have retained me on a rolling month-to-month contract. Never mind, I don't have a 'contract expired' announcement graphic anyway.

My record as Fakel manager:

I'm going to choose my next job carefully because there's a few criteria I want to make sure I fulfil with it. This is definitely influenced by the level of clubs offering me interviews earlier this year. Despite my relegation with Fakel I think a decent level of teams will still consider me - relegation wasn't considered a failure with our squad and resources, we were odds on to go down, the board expected me to go down, the media expected me to go down, it was in fact spoken of by everyone as an achievement that we came as close as we did to surviving.

I want my next job to feel like a step forwards, but not too much of a step forwards. It's too soon for the Premier League or any of the other 'Big Four' (La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga) but I want to be managing one level below, which in Europe I would say means Ligue 1, the Eredivisie, Liga NOS or the Russian Prem'er Liga. Russia's ruled out because I'm sick of Russia for the time being. Portugal's also ruled out because my previous Porto save is too fresh in the memory. So basically I'm looking at France and Holland.

In terms of the level of team I want to manage next, I have no interest in another relegation battle; they are not fun. I feel like a worthy top flight manager now and so the next stage of my career and building my reputation is to be in European competition; managing on the continental stage would really catapult me towards those more aspirational jobs. I think what would be best, though, would be to end up at a comfortably mid-table club who aren't expected to qualify for Europe but feasibly could. Essentially then I am restricting my next job to mid-table top-flight French and Dutch sides.

I'll keep my options open though and I'm sure a curveball could change my mind. I'm also willing to take plenty of time waiting for this job to come up, not least because I've just started my final coaching badge, which will take a year (while I'm studying, this detracts from my ability to coach my players in training). I convinced the Fakel board to fund my badge two weeks before I resigned, lol.

Because I have quite a specific idea of where I want to manage next, the number of playable leagues has dropped down by quite a bit. I now have the following active:

- China (1) (why? don't know)
- England (1 & 2)
- France (1)
- Germany (1) 
- Italy (1)
- Netherlands (1)
- Norway (1) (no intention to manage here currently; just don't want to remove any potential Norway national team players from the database, could regret that one day...)
- Spain (1 & 2)

Basic, but I've spent a few years in fun alternative leagues, now it's time to focus on building my reputation before taking on more fun alternative jobs. To be honest my overall objectives have changed a bit since I started the save - I'm now less keen on the 'manage in all four big leagues, manage on all continents' ideas. Am more focused than I thought I would be on working my way up (and currently only really interested in Europe), but not because reaching the top is the be-all and end-all, but because it will give me more freedom to take whatever jobs I fancy.

Managing Norway has emerged as a big ambition for me. Fritjof is fiercely patriotic and having looked at Norway's irl record they are, imo, underachievers. More on that in the future, I hope.
View user profile

on Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:42 pm
12th January 2021

It's been a long six months of unemployment. As I said, I wanted to make sure I chose the next job carefully and so I found very few jobs becoming available that really interested me. For a while in the autumn I was convinced Norway were going to sack their manager so I was fixated on that, but they didn't.

The wait has all been worth it though, because I'm really pleased with where I've ended up.

Yes, I did say I was sick of Russia. But CSKA are huge. They've won the Russian top flight 13 times and a UEFA Cup. They're Russia's oldest club. They can put me on the continental stage.

It's a significant step up but I feel it's more feasible than moving to a similar (or maybe even lower) reputation club in another league, because CSKA have seen me up close - never closer than when my second-division Fakel side knocked them out of the cup.

In the four seasons this save's been running CSKA have finished 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 3rd, so their current position of 8th seems anomalous rather than massively concerning. The board have set me the target of Europa League qualification, which means 4th or possibly 5th depending on the winner of the domestic cup. We'll need to get going quickly to achieve that, because I want to be still be around for the start of next season so I can design some CSKA kits.

There's about seven weeks until the league resumes so I have some time to get to know the squad and hopefully make some signings.

Despite the club's 3rd-place finish last year, they haven't been in any European competition this season - some digging around tells me they are 'banned' but not what for. FFP violation seems most likely. Hopefully it will only last a season, anyway...
View user profile

on Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:31 pm
14th January 2021

Bros.
View user profile

on Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:02 pm
28th January 2021

The window opens today (I know) and I already have two signings to announce.

So happy to have signed my former Fakel captain Likhachev. He left Fakel the same time I did, and has only been at his new side Yenisey for half a season, but he was exactly what I needed - a Russian centre-back. Only six non-Russians are permitted in any Prem'er Liga starting XI and all three of my existing centre-backs were 'foreign'. Not sure yet whether he'll start regularly or play more of a rotational role/just come in when I need to free up a 'foreign' spot elsewhere in the XI, but I'm confident he won't look out of place at this level.

I needed to sign Juankar because a) before he arrived there wasn't a single left-back in the squad? and b) his name, lol.
View user profile

on Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:44 am
27th February 2021

Fritjof's first competitive game in charge of CSKA has arrived and he couldn't have hoped for a better start - a win and a solid display in a Moscow derby (against Ze Luis's Spartak).

This was how we lined up, and I expect the XI to largely stay like this for the rest of the season:

View user profile

on Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:06 am
1st April 2021

Things have started really well - we've won all four games so far, including some important victories over a few of the teams around us. Our form has seen us climb from 8th to 4th.

The star so far has been Alexandr Golovin, scoring five goals in those four games from central midfield and duly collecting a Prem'er Liga Player of the Month award. We've been pretty solid at the back, with defensive signings Juankar and Likhachev settling in seamlessly and with Akinfeev in great form.

Next up is a 3rd v 4th battle away to Rostov, before three consecutive home games which will hopefully allow us to keep the good form going.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum